Fully Automated Viral RNA Extraction and Detection Workflow
SARS-CoV-2 Research and Detection
Beckman Coulter Life Sciences supports research workflows related to testing with automation, PCR setup and viral RNA extraction kits. We’ve helped establish test sites globally for a broad range of customer sizes and testing requirements. Beckman is continuously working to optimize manufacturing and supply chain processes, and is working to answer questions and meet the needs of customers in this challenging time.
Viral Extraction and Detection Workflow
2. Tube to Plate Reformatting: Barcoded samples are scanned and aliquoted into a 96-well microtiter plate using Tube Scan ALP on the Biomek i5 liquid handler.
- The Span-8 pod of Biomek i5 consists of eight individually controlled pipette mandrels and provides utility for a single well or tube access.
- The Tube Scan ALP on the Biomek can hold up to 192 tubes. Barcode scanning and positive sample tracking are maintained throughout the process.
3. RNA Extraction: The RNA is extracted from each sample using Beckman Coulter's RNAdvance Viral and RNAdvance Viral XP reagent kits and automated on Biomek i5 96-multichannel workstation.
- The automated RNAdvance Viral extraction methods will process 192 samples in approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Automated method offers ease of use and flexibility. The demonstrated method interface consists of three parts, Biomek Method Launcher (BML), Method Option Selector (MOS) and Guided Labware Setup (GLS), to provide an optimal user experience.
- Automated RNAdvance Viral and Viral XP methods are ready to be uploaded on the instrument, and field applications scientists are available to expedite the implementation process on Biomek instruments.
4. qPCR Reaction Setup: This step can be carried out off-deck or in a qPCR machine integrated to the Biomek.
- qPCR can be accomplished in either 96- or 384-well plate format. Biomek i5 96-multichannel system can easily reformat the plates for a 384-well qPCR plate setup.
- Beckman Coulter's Echo acoustic liquid handler can process 384-well qPCR reaction set-ups in as little as 10 minutes.
- Reagents can be transferred from any well to any well, allowing for fully automated, fast, qPCR reaction set-up. For high throughput workflows, integrated devices such as sealers, peelers, and qPCR instruments provide full walk-away capabilities.
5. qPCR Analysis and Data Collection: Beckman Coulter's Data Acquisition and Reporting Tool (DART) gathers runtime data and communicates with a Lab Information Management systems to streamline data management.
Integrated System: Biomek i-Series and Echo 525
The Echo 525 acoustic liquid handler can be integrated directly on a Biomek iSeries automated workstation to enable seamless sample processing. In this system or as a standalone acoustic liquid handler, the Echo 525 provides the following benefits:
- Reagent cost-savings: Up to 80% savings on reagent cost by going from 25 µL to 5 µL on Echo 525
- Faster time: Up to 90% faster reaction setup and turnaround time
- Sustainability: The tip-less Echo can help with sustainability and reducing the amount of plastic waste
Workflow Product Information
Automated Liquid Handlers
Viral RNA Extraction Kits
RNAdvance Viral Reagent Kit - 768 Preps
RNAdvance Viral XP Reagent Kit - 1056 Preps
RNAdvance Viral XP is listed as an extraction method for use with the Centers for Disease Control’s EUA-authorized COVID-19 test referenced in FDA’s FAQ on testing for SARS-CoV-2. Other than this designation, RNAdvance Viral XP is for research use, and not intended for diagnostic purposes.
RNAdvance Viral is for research use.
Biomek automated workstations are not intended or validated for use in the diagnosis of disease or other conditions.
Echo liquid handlers are for research use only. Not intended or validated for use in the diagnosis of disease or other conditions.
The Story Behind Warsaw Genomics’
Miami Cancer Institute